What is Iron Dome, How Israel's Iron Dome Works
By Kaif - October 8, 2023 - Last updated on Oct 08, 2023 02:34 PM
Israel vs hamas: The atmosphere between Palestine and Israel is heated. The terrorist organization Hamas suddenly fired about 5,000 rockets from Gaza at Israeli cities in just 20 minutes on Saturday morning. Not only this, Hamas gunmen also entered Israeli cities and attacked some military vehicles. Many Israeli soldiers were also taken hostage. Amidst all this, the question is arising that how did Hamas dodge Israel's Iron Dome, which is considered one of the best air defense systems in the world.
Israel is currently going through its worst phase. Hardly anyone could have imagined the way the Palestinian terrorist organization Hamas attacked. The people of Israel had never imagined that their morning would be like this. The people here woke up in the morning with the echo of air strikes. There was noise everywhere and fear among the people. It is believed that the Israeli Army is counted among the most powerful armies in the world. It has the world's most powerful intelligence agency, Mossad, but despite this, Hamas was successful in attacking Israel. Amidst all this, the question is arising that Israel talks about Iron Dome system for the security of airspace. How did Hamas carry out this massive attack while he was there? How did Hamas penetrate Israel's defense this time?
What is Iron Dome
- Israel's Iron Dome missile defense system is a land-based air defense system. It is designed to intercept and destroy short-range rockets, mortars and artillery shells fired from a distance of 4 kilometers to 70 kilometers.
- The anti-missile system is particularly effective against low altitude and slow moving projectiles. The system has proven its combat readiness with over 5,000 successful interceptions so far, including rockets, mortars and artillery shells as well as aircraft, helicopters and UAVs at very short ranges.
- Iron Dome was developed by two Israeli firms, Rafael Advanced Defense Systems and Israel Aerospace Industries, with significant support from the United States, and was introduced in 2011.
- Israel's army and government claim that Iron Dome is the world's most developed air defense system and its success rate is more than 90 percent.
Image Source: Twitter
How Israel's Iron Dome Works
- Iron Domes uses MMR radar to find out what the rocket's path is. Israel's Defense Ministry said the system's command and control center analyzes the rocket's trajectory and its projected landing zone.
- The launcher receives orders to fire the rocket and operate from the command and control unit to intercept the incoming rocket. The artificial intelligence component of the system determines whether people will be in danger from an incoming missile. If no missiles are determined as a threat, the system will allow the rocket to land.
- Since it is a short-range system, Iron Dome is designed to shoot down missiles at ranges of approximately 40 miles or less. It also has the capability to be transported on ships or across land to better meet defense requirements.
- The air defense system Iron Dome mainly consists of three parts. Radar, launcher and command post. Through radar, the Dome system decides whether the rocket or any other object visible in the sky is a threat or something else. If the system feels there is a threat, the Iron Dome launches an interceptor missile attack on the rocket. Tamir missiles are currently being used in Iron Dome.
Also Read: Asian Games: The controversy breaks out in India vs Iran kabaddi final